Friday, December 11, 2009

Grape leaves

I absolutely LOVE grape leaves(dolmades)!  I've bought them occasionally and they just have rice. This is the recipe I've had since high school and I much prefer them with beef.  I expected the rest of the family to complain and was happily thinking I'd get them all to myself for the next few days but it turned out they loved them too and I had to share :o)
1 jar grape leaves
1 lb 80-90% lean beef
3/4 cup rice(long grain)
salt and pepper
1/4 cup lemon juice

Mix meat with rice, salt and pepper.  I do this with my hands until it's well mixed.


Drain grape leaves and cut off small stem area.




 Put 1 tablespoon meat mixture onto ribbed side of grape leaf.  I used more than that here but 1 tablespoon each will use the entire jar of grape leaves.


Put meat on the stem side and roll over past meat then fold the ends in and continue rolling.


 Put rolled grape leaves in a large pot in a layer.


 To start the second layer turn the grape leaves 90 degrees.  Cover the grape leaves with water(pot about 3/4 full), add salt and cook 30 minutes on medium heat until rice is cooked.  Add 1/4 cup lemon juice and cook 5 more minutes.  Serve with plain yogurt or tzatziki(yogurt/sour milk, lemon and cucumber--I don't measure but there are good recipes at recipezaar).

No comments: