Sunday, March 06, 2011

Pumpkin Soup

Last year, for the first time, I cooked and canned our jack-o-lantern pumpkins.  It was a huge job to do three big pumpkins and I thought I'd never do it again...but all winter we've had delicious things made with this pumpkin and now I am sure I will.

Today I made pumpkin soup.  I'm eating meatless for awhile so this will also make a good meal for me on the nights I'm cooking meat for the rest of the family.  I didn't use heavy whipping cream but instead used evaporated milk.  This was from allrecipes but I made changes and am putting that recipe below.  


Ingredients
6 cups vegetable stock
3 teaspoons salt
4 cups pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream

Directions
Heat stock, salt, pumpkin, onion, thyme, garlic, and peppercorns. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 30 minutes uncovered.
Puree the soup in small batches (1 cup at a time) using a food processor or blender.
Return to pan, and bring to a boil again. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for another 30 minutes, uncovered. Stir in heavy cream. Pour into soup bowls and garnish with fresh parsley.

No comments: