Sunday, September 28, 2008

Red Beans and Rice


This was from Mandi's week in August and her theme was frugal recipes. Everyone totally loved this! I used spicy sausage and changed the prices to what it cost me. This made a HUGE amount and there were still no leftovers.

Red Beans & Rice
1 lb. smoked sausage (2.42)
1 can (10 ounces) tomatoes and green chilies ($.60 store brand)
2 cans (16 ounces each) red beans or dark red kidney beans, undrained
(I soaked beans overnight, cooked them this morning and then used enough beans for this so .67 for all beans)
1 can (10 3/4 ounces) cream of mushroom soup (I'm out of my dry soup mix so I had to buy campbells healthy one to not have msg... 1.15)
3/4 tsp Creole seasoning (have tons on hand)
4 -5 cups cooked white rice (about $.50)
(Total 5.34)
Cut up sausage into 1 inch chunks. Brown sausage in 10 inch skillet. Add tomatoes, beans, soup, and seasoning and heat through. Add cooked rice and heat through again, if necessary.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome, So glad everyone liked it :)

Anonymous said...

YMMMSSSS.. feels warm n' cozy to look at.. comfort food