Saturday, August 21, 2010

Chocolate Popsicles

I've had my eye out for popsicle molds and finally found some I liked at Marshalls!  They are on Amazon for $10.40 right now(but I paid $7 hee)  See after the recipe for my price breakdown of making these at home...

I also have a set from Tupperware but they're quite tiny.  Those are perfect for the toddler and preschooler in the house though:)  I used cocoa since it's what I had on hand but these would be divine with a dutch or bittersweet chocolate!    Hunter wants to make these on his night to choose/cook dinner:)


This recipe comes from The Prudent Homemaker


1 1/2 cups sugar
3 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup cocoa powder OR 3 oz unsweetened or bittersweet chocolate
3 cups  whole milk ( or 1 12 oz. can evaporated milk plus 1 1/2 cups water)
3 eggs yolks, slightly beaten
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp butter 
In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, salt, cocoa powder and milk.
Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and begins to boil. Boil one minute. Remove from heat.
Slowly add pudding mixture to egg yolks.
Return pudding to pan. Add vanilla and butter. Boil for one minute.
Let mixture cool slightly. Fill popsicle molds and freeze until frozen solid (about 3 hours).
Makes 8 popsicles, depending on the size of your molds. 

********************************************************************************************************************************
Price break down
Cocoa--2 cups in a normal 8 ounce container at $4.39= 1.10 for the 1/2 cup used
Sugar--9 cups in a 4 pound bag at $1.99=33 cents for the 1 1/2 cup used
Milk--16 cups in a gallon at $2.38=45 cents for 3 cups
Eggs-12 for 1.09= 27 cents for 3 eggs plus you can use the egg whites later
For the rest I'll figure 25 cents to make it easy but it would be less than that if you buy in bulk.

So for $2.40 or less you can make 9 chocolate popsicles with REAL chocolate!  Plus it's just fun to make it yourself:)  I don't buy these but from looking at pricebooks online you normally get 12 Fudgesicles for $3.99(and a long list of ingredients I can't pronounce).




No comments: