Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Hoe Cake

I have found heaven on earth...  Finally I have found a recipe for those elusive awesome, fluffy, buttery, soft as pillows biscuits and it's SO easy since there's no rolling or cutting!  Thank you so much Christy(Southern Plate)!!!!


1/2 Cup vegetable shortening
2 Cups self rising flour(or add 3 tsp baking powder and 2 tsp salt to regular flour)
1 Cup milk

Preheat the oven to 425.  Pour a thin layer of oil to cover the bottom of an 8 inch round cake pan(I used my cast iron skillet) and place in the oven to heat.
In a large bowl, thoroughly cut the shortening into the flour.  Pour the milk in and stir until wet.  The batter will be lumpy.  (don't overstir!!!!!)  Pour into the well-heated pan and bake for 15-20 minutes, until browned.  Invert onto a plate.  (I didn't invert it...we cut it and it was gone so fast there wasn't time)

No comments: