This is my second time making this. I bought stew meat to be lazy and it actually worked out really well! There was a piece or two that was tough but overall the meat was the same as cutting up a roast. We'll definitely make this again in future and I love knowing it came from my friend's family=)
1 Roasting beef (med size, to feed your family)
1-2 packages of salted soda crackers
approx 1/2 - 1 cup butter/margarine
1/2 cup flour
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup water
1. Cut roast beef in pieces, not too thick, but not too thin.. a little over 1/2 an inch.
2. Heat up a skillet, coating the bottom of it, with butter as needed, keep a good layer of melted butter going,to fry the roast.
3. Dip each piece of roast beef in this order..
into the flour (placed on a plate or bowl)
into the eggs (in a bowl)
into the crushed crackers (on a dinner plate)
4. Fry each piece until golden brown on each side. Salt and pepper to taste
5. In a casserole dish, add the water, and 3 tbsp of butter. Pile the pieces of roast into the casserole.
Bake at 350 degrees for approx 1 hour in "covered" casserole.
In the last 10 minutes, take the lid off, to crisp the roast up slightly. It's ready, when you can cut nicely into the roast