Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Tortellini soup

I took a recipe from thefrugalgirl.com and modified it to use what I had on hand.  The neighbor gave us the BEST carrots and I used green onions from our garden.  I saw the first tomato starting to turn red so it won't be long and the tomatoes will be fresh and homegrown too.



1 pound sausage(I used bulk natural breakfast sausage)
1 medium onion(or green onion)
1 clove garlic(I used three but we loooove garlic)
5 cups broth...for this I used 5 cups water and 5 chicken boullion cubes from the mega pack I bought at Sams
1 can tomatoes(about two cups)...diced, stewed...whatever kind
8 ounce tomato sauce
1 cup sliced carrots
1 medium pepper(I used half of a yellow bell pepper)
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp oregano(I used a good amount of italian seasoning for this and basil)
1/2 cup red wine(thought I had an open one but it wasn't so 1/2 a cup went in the pot and a big glass went with me for lunch)
16 ounces of frozen tortellini...originally this called for 8 ounces of fresh or 4 of dry(cooked before adding) but with a 3 year old and 1 year old the more pasta the better, right?

Brown the first three ingredients.  Throw in the rest except for the wine and tortellini and simmer for 30 minutes.  Add the tortellini and wine, cook for 1-3 minutes(I did four just to be sure the tortellini was done).  Serve.  Yum!  I meant to throw on some parsley at the end since mom gave us a huge plant but the wine made me forget.  ;o)

No comments: