We ALL gave this a 10! SO good!!!! This is definitely going into the family book. I would highly recommend following the tip and doing some the day before because it took a lot of time
This is from the Fix-It and Enjoy-It cookbook.
Cordon Bleu Casserole
6 cups cubed, fully cooked chicken
3 cups cubed, fully cooked ham
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup chopped onions
1/4 cup butter
1/3 cup flour
2 cups cream
1 tsp-1 Tbsp dill week, according to your taste preference
1/8-1 tsp dry mustard, according to your taste preference
1/8-1/2 tsp ground nutmeg, according to your taste preference
1 cup dry bread crumbs
2 Tbsp. butter, melted
1/4-1 tsp. dill weed, according to your taste preference
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4-1/2 cup, chopped walnuts, according to your taste preference
1. In a large bowl, combine chicken, ham and cheese. Set aside
2. In saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add flour. Stir to form a paste.
3. Over low heat, gradually add cream, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil, and boil 1 minute or until thickened.
4. Add dill, mustard, and nutmeg and mix well. Remove from heat and pour over meat/cheese mixture. Spoon into a greased 9X13 baking pan.
5. In the large mixing bowl, toss together bread crumbs, butter and dill. Stir in cheese and walnuts. Sprinkle over casserole.
6. Bake uncovered at 350 F for 30 minutes, or until heated through.
Tip: This recipe can be prepared the day before through Step 4. When ready to heat, remove from the refrigerator and sprinkle on topping. Add 5-10 minutes to the baking time.