Friday, January 05, 2007

Tamale Pie


I have had this recipe for almost 5 years...it was time to just make it already. It was good and with improvements could be a favorite. It needed cheese...probably in between the beans and meat and maybe some salsa. I'd also add whole kernel corn to the cornbread.
The kids both gave it a 6 and I gave it a 7. It won't be going in the family book.
Tamale pie
1 1/2 pounds ground meat
Taco Seasoning
Refried beans
Cornbread mix(box of jiffy)
Brown ground meat, drain, add taco seasoning and a little bit of water. Simmer for about 5 minutes then set aside.
Mix cornbread mix according to package. Set aside
Heat refried beans-makes them easier to layer. (I didn't heat them and they did fine.)
Take a casserole dish(I used an 8 inch square baking dish) and layer the ingredients starting with the meat mixture then the refried beand then spread the cornbread mixture on top.
Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes-until the cornbread is done. Check the cornbread with a toothpick.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wellll....It *looks* good! :) I think I have a similar recipe but have never tried it either. Sorry to hear it wasn't a huge hit :P